TODO: Put into youtube embed
community dance program
Everybody Dance Now! (EDN!) is a national nonprofit providing weekly after-school classes in partnership with Title I Public Schools, community centers, housing projects, shelters, and juvenile halls. By utilizing hip hop dance and culture, our Common Core Standards-Based Curriculum engages students on their interests. Through dance, they acquire transferable life skills that aid in growth and development.
We hire teachers from within the communities, creating a teaching staff reflective of each neighborhood's rich diversity. We invest in training teachers through a summer intensive and monthly sessions throughout the year in partnership with the Dance Education Laboratory.
- Over 95% participation and student retention
- Starts with the students' interests in mind
- Encourages higher male engagement than studios across the nation – 55% to 45% female-to-male participation
- Does not require special shoes or equipment
- Curriculum based on innovative thinking, peer learning, and collaboration
- Celebrates the role of individuality in the context of community, emphasizing new interpretations of movement over the perfection of technique.
- Fosters environment in which students work together as a class and in small groups to create a performance
- Tracks students progress through social and emotional benchmarks